Friday, March 14, 2008

Dose 2

Well...... what an anxious time leading up to Dose 2..... my white cells were low... so I was to have a repeat check....which I did two days prior.... thinking that if they were still too low I would save myself a drive to Adelaide unnecessarily.... but it didn't pay off.... as they were still low...and so were my Neutropils.... but not low enough that they couldn't rise enough.....so I was asked to come to Adelaide and have another check pre-chemo.....if they were ok....I could go ahead as planned.....if they were still low...Id have to come home and reschedule.

This is not an unusual thing.... from what Ive heard this happens pretty much to every one....buyt the frustrating part for me is the 6 hour car journey if it doesnt go to plan.....and I was tearful at the thought of my treatment being delayed....I have my heart set on finishing on time.

So..... after a 5.30am start....for John to pick me up at 6.30am..... we arrived at FMC just in time for my blood test...then we got the run around trying to locate a form for me.... then another wait for the Oncologist.....then up to the day unit...and another wait....then my pre-med and another wait.....then I began.... finishing right on 2pm..... followed by the 3 hour drive home again.....long day!

anyway....So.....I had my bloods taken.....and I anxiously waited..... and was so relieved to discover a huge jump in both my WCC and Neurtropils ..... and I now scrapped into normal range.... phew!!!
Chemo was on!!

The only draw back was my veins looked like pin cushions already.....probably from all the blood tests leading up to the day.....and it took a couple of attempts to get a good one.....

I was very lucky to Tammy come and sit with me through the entire session....how lovely is she...and she brought me a gorgeous quote book as a gift as well..... I felt incredibly spolit.
John stayed as we waited to see if I could go ahead....and kept me company as we back and forthed trying to find out where my blood form was..... then ducked off to do some SAAS business...and then sat out the last part of my Chemo session with me as well.... lucky girl I am.

The trip home was good.....I was armed with wet iced towels..... and we stopped and got some food.... and I actually got home with just the slightest bit of nausea....not like my first dose.'
I think the key was to leave straight away.....the nausea seems to come on about 2 hours post Chemo....and by then we were well on the way home.....unlike dose one....where we had a stop in Adelaide....meaning my nausea began right in the city...and I still had a bloody long trip...blerk.

So...... I was in bed early.... I felt flat....and I'm sure the medication makes me tired.... and although I felt nauseated I wasn't anywhere near as bad as last time.... but it was a wakeful sleep.... my eyes feel gritty and the flashy lights came back..... not to mention the huge sweat...headache...and body aches.

....so this morning..... I feel like I have a flu.... but otherwise Im doing ok....and its so much better this time.....I'm not nearly as anxious....I'm giving myself the week to feel like a bucket of crap....it took that long last time....and then I know that I will feel well again....really well.....so I can cope with that.

I must mention on this blog that all of us on the Berri team...and from other Riverland teams took part in the Worlds Greatest Shave on Tuesday night..... it was an incredible positive night.. and Im so glad my hair hung in there long enough to get it shaved..... so now I have a lovely bald scone.... possibly for the next 6 months....

No comments: