Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dose 3

Well.....Ive really gotten to know this chemo well...
Dose three has affected me much like dose two.....and there is a comfort in that I guess....I know that the next stage is feeling revived again.....

My fabulous team at work....once again organised to take me to Adelaide on Thursday for Dose 3....this time Kathie drove...and we had a lovely day.... I haven't worked on the road with Kathy for awhile....our lines just haven't matched up...so we had a good chat...and a few laughs.... and it made an otherwise long and boring trip go rather fast...so thank you Kath.

My white cell was low once again.....but as my Neutrophils were acceptable....I was able to go ahead....phew!

This visit my oncologist spoke to me about a new clinical trial I have been invited to take part in.... its to trial a new drug that appears to work better than Herceptin in Advanced Breast Cancer...but hasn't yet been trialled in Early Breast Cancer life mine.... I'm torn between what to decide....if I were to accept....Id be randomised into one of four different arms....so there is no choosing the drug I would receive... and I'm unsure if I can live with the random'ness of that....I think I might be better knowing exactly what I am having up front..... BUT...as my oncologist said....the only reason I am receiving Herceptin is because women took part in a clinical trial in the past.....Far out....I have no idea how to make a decision on this one.

...anyway..... my chemo affects are pretty much as last time.....

I arrive home from Adelaide feeling slightly nauseous...and washed out...pale and colourless... the first night the nausea increases....and I wake and take medications all night....

The following morning....I appear sunburnt ....mainly my face....chest...and new scar area.....it is bright red.... even though it hasn't seen the sun.
My skin is dry.... and peely....and my eyes feel dry and gritty....especially my left eye for some reason.....it annoys me at night when I'm trying to sleep.

The nausea lingers for quite a few days.....not too bad.... unless I drive in the car...it seems to trigger motion sickness very quickly.... not something Ive ever suffered before.

My body is tired.... energy less....I drop everything...fumble... and cant even be bothered talking properly... this time Ive noticed tingling and altered sensation in my fingertips and toes....like mini pins and needles...

My appetite is altered....I find eating eases the nausea....but I'm never sure what I feel like...things taste different.. coffee is 100% out.....black tea is in.... and meat...vegetables and gravy are what I feel like eating the most...

My sleep pattern is affected....I'm so tired...and yet I wake throughout the night.... I don't sleep much after 2.30am....it seems to be then my eyes pop open....and no matter how hard I try...sleep will not come back to me.

I'm hoping that tomorrow Ill begin to turn the corner...and feel alive again....it just seems to happen like that for me....I cant push through it....it just lifts when its ready....and I'm left feeling really well....and my energy levels are high.... that I am thankful for.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Hi Mardi,
I do not know what I would do with the Clinical Trial - I have been thinking about it over the weekend. I would probably lean toward saying no to it - Herceptin seems to have good results and I think it would be god to know exactly what medication you were taking but on the other side if people did not take part in trials we would not have lots of new drugs, so I am of no help to you in deciding - the new drug might be fantastic but who knows - I still think I would probably say no. Hope you are feeling better by now. Love Donna

Brahms6 said...

Hey Mardi, My Name is rod and I am a Paramedic from Central Queensland. I just wanted to wish you luck. I will keep an eye on your Blog to see how you are getting on.

RodS

kathie said...

Hello lovie! Thinking of you today and hope you're not feeling too poorly.