Monday, August 4, 2008

Done... yipee!


Well.... it seemed at the beginning that it would never end....but it did.
On the 31st August 2008 I had my final dose of Chemo.....

So after 4 doses of Adriamycin / Cyclophosphamide
and
12 doses of Paclitaxel (Taxol) it was over.....

I cant say Ill miss....
the 500 km (7 hour round trip)
the constant nose bleed.....Ive had a nose bleed for 12 weeks....
the aching....its got worse and worse.....every muscle...every joint...
the nausea.... although that's not been too much of an issue these last 12 weeks...
the bald head... I'm tired of the cold....I'm tired of the stares....I'm tired of always needing to match a hat to my clothes.
the lack of eye brows and eye lashes.... they are what defines a face.... I miss them..
the weight gain....I'm bloated....swollen and weigh 7 kilos more than when I began....
the insomnia... Ive had nights where Ive been awake almost the entire night....
the fatigue.... I have good intentions....then fall in a heap very quickly...
the chemo brain.... it doesnt think straight....it has trouble with conversation....I know what I want to say....but words just dont come out properly...
the altered taste..... I seriously wonder if Ill drink instant coffee ever again....

but...on the other hand....

I will miss...

the lovely friends I have made in the Haematology Day Unit....
the staff at the Unit...they are such an amazing bunch of girls....I particularly have soft spots for Atsuko and Sharon....
the weekly company of my work mates as they chauffeur me to Adelaide...
the lovely lady at McCafe Munno Para....and my banana bread fix.

So now its onwards to the next stage..... 9 more months of IV Hormone therapy (Herceptin) ... and hopefully the chance to repair...recover.... lose some weight.... and feel like the okd Mardi again...

1 comment:

jo said...

Good luck to you Mardi, I was engrossed in your diary even though I realise it is an integral part of your journey through treatment. I work in Day Oncology here in Bacchus Marsh & it helps to read stories like yours to remember that patients are experiencing this for the first time whereas we are rattling off side effects & symptoms. Do you find that you treat patients differently since your own experience? I trust the rest of your treatment goes well, take care, Jo